In 1970 a programmer, Dennis Ritchie, created a new language called C.
- The name came about because it superseded the old programming language he was using : B.
- C was designed with one goal in mind: writing operating systems.
- The language was extremely simple and flexible, and soon was used for many different types of programs.
- It quickly became one of the most popular programming languages in the world.
Features of C
- Fast and EfficientPrograms written in C are efficient and fast. This is due to its variety of data type and powerful operators.
- PortableC is highly portable. This means that programs once written can be run on another machines with little or no modification.
- Function and Rich LibrariesC program is basically a collection of functions that are supported by C library. We can also create our own functions and add it to the C library.
- ModularityModular programming is a software design technique that increases the extent to which software is composed of separate parts, called modules.
- Easy to ExtendIn C, New feature can be added at any time by programmer.
- Case SensitiveIt is a case sensitive language, that it can differentiate the character is upper case or lower case.